Friday, February 25, 2011

... take 5: National Geographic: Machu Picchu

On this last trip to South America had thought about the possibility of re-visiting Machu Picchu. If it was just a bit closer, would have gone again a heartbeat.
I remember seeing my first picture of Machu Picchu when I was just 16 years old.... and I vowed to get there one day.. had hoped it would be much sooner... but at least I made it!
It's one of the most magical and spiritual places we have ever visited... there's just no other experience like it!


Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu is mostly known for its architectural beauty and its near inaccessibility.
If you have not yet been, and are maybe considering a trip there, be sure and try and work it out to at least spending one night at The Sanctuary Lodge. It's right outside the Machu Picchu entry gate. You can then go back and forth from the lodge and the sacred site whenever and as many times as you want.


Be sure and visit soon... as the ground is slowly sinking with so many tourists visiting (over one million a year), they are now considering putting in viewing platforms in many areas. Once this were to happen, the overall atmosphere surrounding the mystical nature of the location would be altered dramatically... the experience would nowhere be the same.


(pix from our visit in 2008.. be sure and watch 'full-screen' and use a headset)


 
National Geographic Photos: Machu Picchu--Aerial